The Exuma Cays of the Bahamas play host to a plethora of amazing marine species. Among them, the wondrous nurse sharks have become one of the most cherished, which can be found in Compass Cay. Unlike the deathly dread when hearing the word “shark,” the nurse sharks are known to be quite peaceful. For those thrill-seekers who want to experience swimming with them, Compass Cay is the perfect destination to do so. Get ready to dive into the crystal-clear waters of the Bahamas while enjoying an up-close encounter with these gentle giants.
Compass Cay is a 1,280-acre island that is home to around 18 people. The island is known for its calm waters and its friendly nurse sharks. The nurse sharks in Compass Cay are accustomed to human interaction and typically lurk around the dock while waiting for visitors to arrive. You can also easily spot them near the dock area swimming in a peaceful, unhurried fashion.
One of the great things about Compass Cay is its emphasis on environmental protection. The people who live on the island take care of all of the sharks, so you can trust that the animals are safe to be around. In fact, many of them have been living in the surrounding waters for years, with many of them up to 10 feet long.
If you’re planning to visit the island, make sure that you bring provisions with you as there are no restaurants or shops on the island. You can, however, purchase a bag of fish to feed the nurse sharks from the marina on the island. It’s an amazing experience to be able to feed and observe them up close, which is particularly thrilling for the younger ones.
When swimming with the sharks, it’s important to remain calm and quiet. Avoid making sudden movements that could startle them and always follow the guide’s instructions. Stick to touching their soft, flexible dorsal fins instead of their tails as it’s their most sensitive spot.
A visit to Compass Cay means ample opportunities to interact with one of the most magnificent creatures of the sea – the nurse sharks. After a visit to this little piece of paradise where the sky and waters blend together, you’ll leave with memories that will last a lifetime. So, if you’re a nature lover and have a passion for marine life, it’s high time to head to Compass Cay, where the stunning nurse sharks await your arrival.
- Experience the thrill of swimming and snorkeling with nurse sharks at Compass Cay!
- Discover the mesmerizing beauty of Pipe Cay Sand Bar with its breathtaking white sand that appears and disappears with the rhythm of the tides. Prepare to capture unforgettable moments and create envy-inducing Instagram posts at this stunning location.
- Experience the world-famous Staniel Cay Yacht Club on our exclusive day tour. Enjoy lunch at this renowned destination (lunch cost not included).
- Snorkel Thunderball Grotto, a naturally occurring cave, offers an incredible stop and snorkel opportunity with stunning coral and sea life. Made Famous in the James Bond Film Thunderball.
- Meet the Original Swimming Pigs at Pigs Beach! Dive into an unforgettable experience as you get up close and personal with these world-famous pigs. Feed, admire, and create lasting memories with these incredible creatures.
- Experience the extraordinary on Iguana Island – home to a thriving population of rare rock iguanas found nowhere else in the world.
- Explore the breathtaking sunken plane wreck near Staniel Cay on an unforgettable snorkeling adventure.
Contact Bahamas Island Travel
For Upgrade Options
Bahamas Day Tour Schedule
Note: All times are approximate. Experience the incredible Swimming Pigs tour with 7 stops! Dive into the adventure as our expert guides curate a unique itinerary just for you, ensuring the best possible experiences at each stop. With careful consideration of tides and tour sizes, every moment of this unforgettable tour will be tailored to perfection.
6:30 AM: Check-in at Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport
7:30 AM: Flight Departs
8:45 AM: Arrival at Bahamas Immigration and Customs
9:15 AM: Arrival at Staniel Cay & Escort to Marina
9:30 AM: Guided Boat Tour Begins
1:00 PM: Lunch at local island eatery*
4:30 PM: Returning flight departs Staniel Cay
6:00 PM: Approximate Arrival at Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport
Day Tour Includes
- Airfare and customs clearance fees to and from the Bahamas
- Boat and personal Captain and tour guide for the day
- Snacks and drinks on the boat
- Fluffy Towels
Dates: Daily All Year
Group Rate Per Person $875 + T&F Low season ($1106.30 total)
Group Rate Per Person $949 + T&F High season ($1180.30)
Group rates at even more savings are available. For parties of 7 or more, please call! (954) 900-2739